|Bundesland: Freistaat Bayern
|Landkreis: Berchtesgadener Land
Bad Reichenhall is situated at an elevation of 473 m in a basin encircled by the Chiemgauer Alps including Mount Staufen (1,771 m) and Mount Zwiesel (1,781 m). Bad Reichenhall is a spa town and is the administrative centre of the Berchtesgadener Land district of Bavaria. The municipality has a popullation of about 11,100 (2012).
The earliest known inhabitants of this area are the tribes of the Glockenbecher Culture (a Bronze Age Culture, from about 2000 B.C.) In the age of the La Tène culture (about 450 B.C.) organized salt production commenced utilizing the local brine pools. In the same period a Celtic place of worship is placed at the "Langacker". From 15 B.C to 480 A.D, the city was part of a roman province, Noricum. The monastery of St. Zeno was founded in 1136. In 1617 1619, a wooden pipeline for brine exportation to Traunstein was built, with a length of 31 km, and more than 200 m in elevation difference. In 1834, two thirds of the city's buildings were destroyed by a major fire. The early 19th century saw the beginning of tourism, with Reichenhall becoming a famous health resort. In 1890, the predicate Bad was added to the town's name, confirming its status as a spa town. On 25 April 1945, the area was bombed by allied forces, 200 people were killed. The town centre with many hospitals and the train station was nearly totally destroyed while the barracks didn't suffer any damage. After World War II the area was under American military governance unti 1948. Bad Reichenhall became the administrative centre of the district Berchtesgadener Land in 1972 when this new district was formed from the former districts of Berchtesgaden and Laufen and the city of Bad Reichenhall.
Glass no. 4516 also shows a view of the Königssee in the bottom left picture and a view of
Berchtesgaden in the bottom right picture.