Liezen is situated at an elevation of 664 m on the river Enns in Upper Styria.
In the vicinity of today's town centre of Liezen historians assume
the place of a Roman post station called Stiriate.
The earliest mentioning as Luecen is found in a document of 1047,
while the name Luzin appears in 1115. The iron working industry
was an important oeconomical factor for Liezen between the 15th and the end of the 19th
century using iron from ore deposits from the Salberg and Blahberg mountains.
Liezen became the seat of the district administration in 1848 and received the status
of town in 1947. The district administration also has branch offices in Gröbming
and Bad Aussee.