If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|Bundesland: Freistaat Sachsen||Saxony|
Lauter-Bernsbach is situated at an elevation of 480–580 m between the towns of Aue and
Schwarzenberg in the western Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains) region of southern Saxony.
The municipality was formed on 1 January 2013 by a merger of the formerly independent municipalities of
The village was presumably founded towards the end of the 12th century. Lawther was first mentioned in a document
dating from 1460/62.
The first church of Lauter was mentioned around 1250. Being located in a region rich in mineral resources,
mining for zinc was an important economic factor already in the early development of Lauter. The village was connected to
the railroad system in 1858 (Ore Mountains Railroad from Zwickau) via
Schwarzenberg to Johanngeorgenstadt.
Mining for bismuth by the Wismut AG started in 1947. Lauter obtained the status of a town in 1962. In a referendum in 2011,
the citizens of Bernsbach were asked whether to be merged with Grünhain-Beierfeld or with
The Heinrich-Heine-Schule [left, no. 1339: top] was built in 1899 and was named for the German poet Heinrich Heine (1797–1856).
The church of Lauter [right, no. 3269, and left, no. 1339: bottom right] was built in 1628.
The building depicted in the bottom left inset of the picture on glass no. 1339 [left] is the