HOME NUMERICAL INDEX ALPHABETICAL INDEX HISTORICAL MAPS INDEX OF NAMES
DEUTSCHLAND GERMANY
Bundesland: Sachsen-Anhalt Saxony-Anhalt
Landkreis: Jerichower Land  

map

Altengrabow

 

3851 Altengrabow 3851 Altengrabow 3851 Altengrabow Altengrabow is situated at an elevation of 93 m about 35 km east of Magdeburg in eastern Saxony-Anhalt. Altengrabow is a district of the municipality of Dörnitz (administrative union Möckern-Loburg-Fläming).

2365 Altengrabow The Truppenübungsplatz Altengrabow (military training area) [left] was established in 1893 as an artillery range for the IIIrd and IVth Army Corps and the Guard Corps. At first, the soldiers were accomodated in tents, but beginning in March 1896 16 massive buildings and 19 shanties were erected as barracks for permanent and exercising troops. A railway station was set up in 1898. On 22 August 1899 the facilities were visited by Emperor Wilhelm II, the first of a total of 9 visits by the emperor. During World War I the facilities were used as POW camp. The training area was closed after the war in 1919. Until 1920 it served as emporium for military goods, from 1920 until 1922 it was used as a camp for refugees from the former eastern territories of the Germany. After 1921 the area was again used for military purposes. During World War II the former stables were converted to a POW camp, especially for Russian and Polish soldiers. The camp was liberated in April 1945 by Allied troops and in May 1945 the facilities were taken over by the Red Army and were used by the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany until 1994. Since then the facilities belong to the German Bundeswehr. The facilities are commanded by the military training area's headquarters in Klietz.

The top right picture on glass no. 3851 [left] is labeled Com̅andantur, 'Commander's office'. Note: the character m with overline () denotes a double m.

3981 Altengrabow Exactly the same picture is printed on glass no. 3981 [near left: bottom left picture], in this case labeled Commandantur.

The bottom right picture on glass no. 3981 [near left] shows a view of the Berghotel ('Mountain Hotel']. The hotel was built in 1896. After World War II it was used by the Soviet Army as a headquarters.
[https://www.flickr.com/photos/picture_addicted/albums/72157631144119664/with/7816282072/]

 

Glasses of this collection showing former training areas of the German Empire:
Altengrabow (D),
Arys (Orszysz, PL),
Döberitz (D),
Hagenau (Haguenau, F),
Hammelburg (D),
Hammerstein (Czarne, PL),
Heuberg (Stetten am kalten Markt, D),
Lockstedter Lager (Hohenlockstedt, D),
Münsingen (D),
Munsterlager (Munster, D),
Sennelager (Paderborn, D).
Thorn (Toruń, PL).
Warthelager (Biedrusko, PL).
[https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truppenübungsplätze_(Deutsches_Reich)]


[scale]
contact: webmaster