|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Královéhradecký kraj||Hradec Králové region|
Nové Město nad Metují is situated at an elevation of 332 m on the river Metuje in the foothills of the Orlické hory mountains in the Hradec Králové region of northeastern Bohemia. The municipality has a population of about 9,300 (2021).
Hradište Nové Město nad Metují was founded in 1501 by the owner of the nearby Krč&iacurte;n. In 1503, the rights and privileges of the market town Krčín were transfered to Nové Město. After the large fire of 1526, which destroyed most of the town, the lords of Pernštejn purchased the place and had it rebuilt according to a uniform Renaissance plan. The next owners were the lords of Stubenberg, but their possessions were confiscated in 1620 because they had siupported the Protestant side in the Bohemian Revolt. Under the lords Trčka of Lípa the area was recatholicised. Afer the assassination in 1634 of the last heir, the town was given to the counts Leslie who owned it until 1802. The next owners were the princes Dietrichstein and their distant relatives. After the abolition of manorialism, the town became an independent municipality in 1848 and a such was the administrative centre of the district Neustadt an der Mettau in the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. After World War I, Nové Město became part of Czechoslovakia. In 1939 the region was occupied by Nazi Germany ('Protectorate Bohemia and Moravia'). After 1945 it became part of Czechoslovakia again.
The late Gothic church of the Holy Trinity [left, no. 4062: background right] was built in 1513–1523. After the large fire in 1526, it was rebuilt in 1540. Originally only a filial church, it received the status of a parish church in 1567.
Nové Město castle [near left, no. 4235], located in the northwestern corner of the large market square, was founded in, or shortly after, 1501. Enlarged after 1528, it was rebuilt in Renaissance style in 1558–1568. In 1655–1661 it was remodeled again, this time by the architect Carlo Lurago in early Baroque style. In 1948 the last owners, the Bartoň-Dobenin family was expropriated without compensation. The castle was restituted to their descendants in 1992.
Further places called Neustadt (or similar), of which glasses are in this collection, are:
in the Czech Republic: