Wörgl was first mentioned in a document of 1120 (Henricus de Uuergile). However, the area was already inhabited in the early Iron Age (about 1000 BC). The remains of a Roman villa rustica of the 2nd century were found in 1842. During the war between Austria and France in 1809 the Tyrolean army fought for indepence from Bavaria, but suffered a heavy defeat at Wörgl. Only after the Congress of Vienna (1814/15) Tyrol became part of Austria again. Wörgl consisted of two separate villages (Wörgl-Kufstein and Wörgl-Rattenberg) until 1911. The opening of the railway lines from Kufstein via Wörgl to Innsbruck (1858) and from Salzburg to Wörgl (1875) marked the beginning of a period of growth for the town. Wörgl became a market town in 1911 and received the status of a town in 1951.
The parish church Sankt Lorenz [right, no. 1294: centre] was first mentioned in 1212.
The present Baroque church dates mainly from about 1730–1740.
The church tower in Classicist style was added in 1836.
The chancel was replaced by a new crossing with three chapels in 1912/13.