|UNITED STATES OF AMERICA|
|El Paso County|
The valley below Pikes Peak received its name Garden of the Gods by Rufus Cable and Melanchton Beach, two surveyors from Colorado City, on August 13, 1859. In 1879, Charles Elliott Perkins, head of the Burlington Railroad, bought land here, intending to eventually build a summer home. However, he never built the house. Instead, he directed that the area be kept open and free to visiting people. After his death in 1909, his children gave the land to the city of Colorado Springs for use as a public park. Among the restricions was that the property be forever known as Garden of the Gods and always be kept free to the public. Today, it covers an area of 1,340 acres (542 hectares).
The pictures on tumbler no.B029 [far left] and on glass no. 1306 [left] show Gateway Rocks which form a natural entrance to Garden of the Gods. The rocks tower several hundred feet above the valley floor and are composed of fine grains of red sandstone. Their color turns a deeper red immediately after a rainstorm
The small pictures on glasses no. 913 [right] and no. 2897 [near left]
The top left inset on the picture of glass
One of the pictures on tumbler no. B031 [left] shows
The other two pictures on tumbler no. B031 show the State Capitol in Denver and Mount of the Holy Cross.
Tumbler no. B029 [left and below] is a souvenir from
Colorado Springs and shows a view of Garden of the Gods on one of its three
landscape pictures. The other two pictures of this tumbler show views of two other natural sights in the vicinity: