|Bundesland: Niederösterreich||Lower Austria|
Stockerau is situated at an elevation of 176 m at the northern edge of the Tullner Feld plains of Lower Austria, about 35 km northwest of Vienna. The municipality has a population of about 16,900 (2020).
The earlierst document mentioning "Stoccaerouwe" dates from 1012 and refers to the martyrdom of St. Koloman. Koloman, an Irish Pilgrim came to this area but was mistaken for a spy and was hanged near Stockerau. His corpse remained suspended on a tree but did not decay. After being buried, several miracles are said to have occured at his grave. In 1014 his body was transfered to the monastery of Melk which became a center of his veneration (until 1663 Koloman was venerated as the patron saint of Austria). During the Middle Ages Stockerau became a trading place and obtained the status of a market town in 1465. New industries were opened during the 19th century. In 1841 the railroad from Vienna-Jedlesee to Stockerau was opened as a branch line of the Nordbahn (Northern Railroad, see Bohumín) company. After the branch line was purchased by the newly founded Nordwestbahn (Northwestern Railroad) it was extended in 1871 via Hollabrunn (then Oberhollabrunn) and Retz to Znaim (Znojmo) in Moravia. In 1893 Stockerau obtained the status of a town.
Town hall [left, no. 3984: top picture] was built in Baroque style in 1738–1740. The southern part conserves parts of a building that was purchased by the city in 1716. It is unknown, when that older part had been built.
parish church Sankt Stephanus [left, no. 3984: bottom picture, background left] was built in early Classicist style in 1778–1778 in place of a previous, Gothic church, which itself had replaced the first, Romanesque church that had been built or rebuilt in 1438–1465. The Baroque church tower was added in 1722–1725. At a height of 88 metres, it is the tallest church tower of Lower Austria and the 9th-tallest in Austria.
The picture on glass no. 1667 [near left] shows the building of the