|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Pardubický kraj||Pardubice region|
|Okres: Ústí nad Orlicí|
Choceň (in German: Chotzen) is situated at an elevation of 290 m on the river Tichá Orlice (Stille Adler) in the foothills of the Orlické hory (Adlergebirge, Eagle Mountains) of eastern Bohemia, about 13 km northwest of the district town Ústí nad Orlicí and about 32 km east of the regional capital Pardubice. The municipalilty consists of the localities Březenice (Bresnitz), Dvořisko (Dworschisko), Hemže (Hemsch), Choceň (Chotzen), Nová Ves (Neudorf), Plchůvky (Pilchuwek) and Podrážek (Podraschek) and has a total population of 8,600 (2021).
The oldest known written mention dates from 1227. In 1292 it already had the status of a market town and was owned by the King of Bohemia. In the early 14th century, it was acquired by the Mikuláš of Potštejn who founded a castle here. Mikuláš undertook marauding expeditions to the surrounding area, but in 1339, the army of Margrave Karl of Moravia from the House of Luxembourg (1346 German King, 1347 King of Bohemia, 1355 Emperor) conquered Choceň, demolished the castle and killed Mikuláš. During next centuries, Choceň often changed owners. A new castle with a large courtyard was built in 1562. During the rule of the counts (1747 princes) Kinsky, many buildings in Baroque style were built, including the church of St. Francis of Assisi. In 1829, the castle was rebuilt in the current Neo-Classical style. The railway line from Prague to Olomouc via Choceň opened in 1845, the lines to Broumov and to Litomyšl followed in 1875 and 1881, respectively, and thus Choceň became an important railway junction. After the end of manorialism, Choceň became an independent municipality and obtained the status of a town in 1849.
The central square of Choceň [left, no. 4179] today is named
The parish church of St. Francis of Assisi [left, no. 4179: bacground right] was built in 1728–1733 in Baroque style.