|Bundesland: Niederösterreich||Lower Austria|
Sankt Peter in der Au is situated at an elevation of 348 m in the west of the district Amstetten of Lower Austria. The municipality has a population of about 5,100 (2016).
Owe was first mentioned in a document dating from around 1120. St. Peter was first mentioned in 1210 in a document refering to the church of St. Peter and Paul (see below). In 1277, the monastery of Admont purchased the manor and shortly afterards pawned it to the bishopric of Freising. In the early 14th century, the Habsburg sovereigns obtained the ownership of the estates and remained in their possession until 1586. The privileges of a market town (which the town must have acquired already in the early 13th century) were renewed in 1574 by Emperor Maximilian II. The municipality of Sankt Peter in der Au was establised in 1849. In 1866 the municipality was divided into two separate communities (Dorf/village and Markt/market) which remained separate until their re-unification into one municipality in 1965. For ten years after the opening of the Kaiserin-Elisabeth-Westbahn (Empress Elisabeth Western Railroad from Vienna via Sankt Pölten and Linz to Salzburg), the station of St. Peter in der Au also served as stop for the passengers to Steyr. In the same year, the town also became the seat of a district court. In 1971, the formerly independent municipalities of Kürnberg, St. Johann in Engstetten und St. Michael am Bruckbach were incorporated into the municipality of St. Peter in der Au.
The Gothic parish church Sankt Petrus und Paulus [background right]
dates back to the 14th century. However, an earlier church was already mentioned in 1210. It was probably founded around 1200
by the reeve of the diocese of Regensburg as a personal parish. Until 1586 it remained
under the patronage of the Habsburg sovereigns; after that it passed into the jurisdiction of the diocese of
Passau. In 1785 it obtained the status of a paris church in the newly established dioces of