If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.

DEUTSCHLAND GERMANY
Bundesland: Brandenburg  
Landkreis: Havelland  

map

Döberitz

sr: Дебериц ru: Дёбериц

1745 Döberitz Döberitz is situated at an altitude of 39 m about 2 km west of Dallgow in the Havelland district west of Berlin in Germany's state of Brandenburg. Döberitz is a district of the municipality of Dallgow-Döberitz.

Döberitz (Doberitz) was first mentioned in 1375, the village of Gapel, which is part of Döberitz, is even 250 years older as it was mentioned already in 1126 (as Gople ). The whole village of Döberitz was destroyed by a large fire in 1700 and had to be rebuilt completely thereafter. A small railway station had been built at Dallgow in 1871; the journey on the "Lehrter Bahn" (Berlin Lehrter Bahnhof – Dallgow – Rathenow – Groß-Wuddicke) to Berlin then took 57 minutes. In 1898 the station was renamed "Dallgow-Döberitz". The new, completely modernized railroad "Brandenburgische Städtebahn" (Treuenbriezen – Belzig – Brandenburg – Dallgow-Döberitz – Rathenow – Friedrichsdorf – Neustadt/Dosse) was opened in 1904. By the late 1930s the journey time to Berlin was reduced to about 13 minutes with regular trains running every 20 minutes. In 1928 Gapel was incorporated into Döberitz. The municipality of Dallgow-Döberitz was formed in 1964. Since 1997 Dallgow-Döberitz has the status of "amtsfreie Gemeinde", which means that the municipality is independent of an "Amt", a political subdivision in the state of Brandenburg and the common seat of the administration for several municipalities.

2168 Döberitz The pictures on glasses no.1745 [left] and no.2168 [right] show the Truppenübungsplatz (military training area) Döberitz. The order for the establishment of the training area was given in 1892, and the facilities were inaugurated in 1895 in the presence of Emperor Wilhelm II. The garrison was home of the guard corps named after Lt. Col. Karl von Bülow. In 1906 a regiment exploring military aviation was installed, followed by a 'provisional military aviation school' in 1910. By 1914 Döberitz had become the seat of an aviation battalion, the most famous student of which certainly was Baron Manfred of Richthofen (later nicknamed the "Red Baron"). After the war the military airfield was reopened in 1933 in the disguise of a civil aviation school. Between 1934 and 1936 the site was also used for the construction of the Olympic village for the Berlin Games of 1936. It was also the site of several Olympic contests, such as the modern pentathlon with riding, bicycle race, and military riding. The infamous "Legion Condor" under Wolfram von Richthofen, a cousin of Manfred of Richthofen, had left for Spain from Döberitz on the 13th of July 1936. The troop is best (or worst) known for their bombardment of Guernica on the 26th of April 1937. After the war the garrison was taken over by the Soviet Army which stayed until 1991.


[scale]