If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|Bundesland: Niedersachsen||Lower Saxony|
Munster is situated at an elevation of 73 m on the river Örtze in the Lüneburger Heide (Lüneburg Heath) region of Lower Saxony, almost exactly halfway between Hamburg and Hannover. The city is located between the Germn Army's training areas Munster-Nord and Munster-Süd. According to the number of stationed soldiers, the combined training area is the largest of the German Army and the fourth in size of the Bundeswehr (German Armed Forces). The municipality of Munster has a population of about 14,800 (2012).
Munster was first mentioned in 1252 in a list of domains in possession of he bishopric of Verden. The original document is lost but a copy of it made in the mid 19th century is still kept in the library of the cathedral school of Verden. The army training area Munster-Süd opened in 1893. In 1956 Munster became a garrison town of the German Army and since about 1990 is Germany's largest of its kind. In 1967 Munster officially obtained the status of a town. Until 1977 the town was part of the district Soltau, thereafter part of the district Soltau-Fallingbostel which in 2011 was renamed district Heidekreis.
The Munsterlager [left]
were army barracks created in 1893 next to the railroad from Bremen via Soltau to Uelzen, about 1.5 km east of the village of Munster,
which at the time had only about 470 inhabitants. The first soldiers stationed here was the Oldenburg Infantry Regiment
Another glass in this collection shows views of Münster in North Rhine-Westfalia (note the difference in spelling: